Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The "Big Reveal": An Unusual Case - Go Figure!

I want to begin this post by thanking everyone for your phone calls, texts, messages, gifts, flowers, cards, hugs, kisses, but mostly the love, positive thoughts, and prayers!  All of which helped me through some very tough moments!  I read your messages, texts, and responses many times!  I still do and I know I will continue to look at them as my journey continues.  I seriously cannot thank all of you enough!

A huge shout out to my surgeon, Dr. Barton, and everyone I have had contact with in her office and Pinnacle Health!  Apryl, my "go to girl", is amazing!  I finally had the opportunity to meet her today!  Everyone has been absolutely wonderful and so efficient with their communication!

One of the last phone calls I had from my doctor's office was a call telling me that the biopsy tested positive for so many things indicating a certainty of breast cancer.  I began to prepare myself for the worst while hoping for the best.  

I would like to insert my diagnosis here, but it's not a simple one.  As with what seems to be all of my past health history, I am faced with an "unusual" situation.  All of my biopsy results indicated breast cancer.  My MRI indicated no breast cancer.  It's very difficult to make a very long story short...

Monday, March 2, 2015 - I had an MRI done on this day to help determine the source of the cancer, how much and where the cancer is in my breast(s).

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 - I was scheduled for a CT scan of my chest, abdomen, and pelvis and a bone scan.  I was injected with "nuclear medicine" for my bone scan.  Cole, who works at Three Mile Island, and I had some laughs with the technicians about that one!  The technician came to the waiting room to inform me that since I had a reaction to a previous CAT scan, I would not be able to receive my scan that day.  I needed to be pre-treated in order to receive it.  I told her it was just a rash...on my stomach only...in 1997!!!  I wanted it done and did not want to have to take steroids in order to prevent another reaction and I certainly did not want to have to wait once again to have something done!  Frustration set in for Cole and I, but I understood and had to do what I had to do.  
After receiving the nuclear medicine via IV needle, you have to wait approximately 2 and a half hours for it to settle into your bones.  Fortunately, since I wasn't able to eat prior to the CT scan, I was now able to eat without it affecting my bone scan.  Cole and I went to a diner to get some breakfast.  The waitress was obviously having a rough morning and things were put into perspective even more for me.  I just wanted to ask her to sit down for a minute with me and tell her how much worse things could be.  Instead, I said a silent prayer for her and hoped her day got better.
As soon as we got in the car to go back to Tristan Radiology, my phone rang.  My surgeon had canceled the CT scan and was now requesting a PET scan.  They wanted to know what time suited me best.  I was hoping to have it done that day of course, but with the preparation requirements (diet and fasting), I was not able to do so.  It is scheduled for this Friday morning.
We returned for my bone scan.  Dressed in my street clothes, the technician asked if I had any coins or keys in my pockets.  I said no and she asked me to lie on the table for the scan.  I hesitated and asked where my scrubs were.  She said there's no need for them for this scan.  Wow!  These are the little things that I haven't read or heard about.  It's true!  It's the little things that can really make you smile!
During the bone scan, one of the technicians told me that she would see me again this Friday morning for my PET scan.  I was relieved that it would be the same technicians as they are amazing!  Shout out to Robin and Maria!!!  I was even more relieved walking back to the waiting room to meet Cole when Robin said, "I'm not a doctor and I can't give you the official results.  But I've seen the results from some scans and your's looks good."  Whew!  Again, I took it for what it was worth, but it was awesome to hear some good news for a change.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - TODAY  - My version of what was told to me without using the fancy terminology!
I am proud to say that I did not shed one tear during this appointment.  I went in expecting the worst and was as prepared as I could be for what she may have to tell me.  
She was very upbeat and positive as she told me that everything on my biopsy indicated breast cancer, but nothing on my MRI indicated breast cancer.  She did find a spot on my right breast that could be "something", but she honestly doesn't think it is anything to be worried about.  But because of the cancer sack, she doesn't want to take any chances.  I will have an MRI guided biopsy done of that spot.  She said I have an unusual case and she will be presenting it at a cancer conference she is attending in a week.  I have a cancer sack that is not my lymph nodes.  Cancer is not present in my breasts from what she has seen so far!  Woo hoo!!!  The PET scan will reveal more and if there is cancer present anywhere else in my body.  
My diagnosis is mucinous carcinoma.  It is a form of breast cancer, but a very uncommon form.  This mass has most likely been slowly growing for quite some time.  Most of the medical staff seem very surprised when I answer their question of "How big would you describe the mass to be?"  with "the size of a peach pit".  My surgeon says that I am not joking.  She says it's bigger than that.
As of now, I am scheduled for surgery to remove the mass.  She will be discussing my case with other doctors at the cancer conference next week to see what suggestions other doctors have due to this being an unusual case.  At this time, I am not slated for chemotherapy as she does not feel this is the best approach.  With that being said, other doctors may give her more information that indicate differently.  She wanted to get the surgery scheduled now so I don't have to wait longer if surgery is the route to go.  It's scheduled and can be canceled if need be.  The cancer sack is fortunately not located near any of my veins.  It is however located right next to nerves, which means there is a high risk of nerve damage with the surgery.  Her hopes are to be able to remove the cancer with no injury to the nerves.  If she fears that she may injure them, she would remove as much of the cancer as she can and I would be treated with chemotherapy to remove the remaining cancer.  There are several options, but she has chosen surgery as the best for now.  She will be reaffirmed at the cancer conference or lead in a new direction.  I will find out next Friday.  Yes, Friday the 13th.  I am not superstitious!  
I love her upbeat personality, her positive thoughts, her desire for teamwork, her communication..so much to like about her!  I completely trust her and am praying for her guidance as she works to find the best solution for my "unusual case".

I have had some pain, discomfort, numbness, and tingling the past couple of days but it's certainly nothing I can't handle and is nowhere near the pain level I have had in the past associated with Hirschsprungs.  

I'm still not out of the woods, but feel I am at the edge of the forest!  I told you cancer picked the wrong person to mess with!  Cancer - be prepared for an @$$-kicking like you have never seen!  I will win!  I'm already proving that!

My journey continues and at this point in time, it looks very positive.  I continue to be realistic without getting my hopes up too high.  Even more importantly, I remain positive, oh so positive!  Again, I thank you all so very much for everything and for being on this journey with me!  It means more to me than you will ever know!  Love to you all!

Today is March 4th and I will march forth!!!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I told Cole today that your cancer is like an episode of House....with the expert panel and such. I am SOOO glad that you like your doctor and her staff. It makes the process so much easier. Go Wendy!!! You are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great news! and great attitudes all around!!! keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete